Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Little things mean the most

I don't want a medal or anything but I have to brag a bit because it's my blog and I'll brag if I want to.
Without even trying I discovered there's truth in the saying that it's the little things that mean the most.
My mother and I attended a bridal shower Sunday. There were a lot of women there and a LOT of gifts. I was hoping that we wouldn't have to watch the gift opening, but no such luck.

We sat at a table near the back and missed seeing a lot of the gifts that were opened. It was hard to see around all the heads.
When the bride opened my card containing a gift card and an old family photograph, she came right over to our table to thank me, but more importantly to show her mom, my cousin, the photo. It was a picture of the two of them on Christmas Day in 1975 when the baby was just two-months old.
The picture captured a squirming baby wearing a red outfit being held by a smiling young mother.

My cousin immediately got up from the table and walked around showing off the picture to her guests. She was all smiles.

I felt good that having the picture meant so much to both of them, and enclosing that photo with the gift didn't cost a cent.

OK, done bragging. Haven't been blogging much lately. Hope to resume soon. G'night.

7 comments:

Joan said...

What a wonderful personal gift to include for the occasion. I will definitely file that idea somewhere where I'll be able to find it when we next have a family celebration! You definitely deserve some bragging rights for being so clever.

Odat said...

Yes...you can brag all you want to...and you certainly have a great reason to. What an excellent idea!
I'm sure she appreciated much more than you think.

(After hub died, and I know this is a different situation, but the same idea, his cousins and aunts mailed me lots of pictures of him when he was younger...and it just touched my heart to have them)

Peace

Casdok said...

A well deserved brag! You are so right it is the little things.

Michele said...

Oh Patti, you definitely should be bragging! Wow, what a sweet gift and these are the gifts that I wouldn't mind receiving. The ones that touch the heart, that stir the soul. Beautiful.
Have a wonderful and safe weekend!
~Michele~

TroyBoy said...

I saw your comment over at Michael C.'s blog. You got to see Chapin in concert? That is awesome. I could've done without the kiss, but the rest of it sounds awesome. He is one of my favorite artists. I think my favorite song of his is a tie between "Anywhere Is A Better Place To Be" and "I Let Time Go Lightly". I sing the latter to my boys all the time. I know...it was intended as a love song, but it's a very sweet song that applies to anyone that you want to spend time with.

Patti said...

Joan & Odat: thanks for the bragging rights

Casdok: it is the little things!

Michele: stirring the soul...I like that. I will have a great weekend. You too!!

Troyboy: Yes, it's true...I love Harry's music. ;-)

sari said...

I would find that the best present as well, Patti.