Friday, October 16, 2009

Random childhood memories

One day a few weeks back I started recalling the names of all the dogs in my neighborhood when I was growing up. I don't know why, but I did. This was back when dogs used to run around the neighborhood with us.

My best friend Suzy's family had Gus, followed by Harry, followed by Max. Then they moved out of state and Max went with them. haha
Next door to them was a family with three girls. They had another "girl," Peggy, who was a Dalmatian.
Down the street from them was a HUGE black dog, Tuffy. We were all scared of him.
Next door to us was Charpo, followed by Leo, both black dogs. Maybe they were part-Labs.

A girl who lived around the corner and down the hill a bit used to come play with us. She was kinda obnoxious, but we tolerated her. Maybe it was because she was never without her German shepherd, Hans, by her side!
I think her mother, who had some "problems" figured she could let Debbie roam the neighborhood because Hans would protect her.

And the piece de resistance: our friends across the street had Jacques as part of the family. He, of course, was a standard French poodle. The father accidentally ran over the poor guy's foot in the driveway one day. But Jacques recuperated from that horrible incident.

And moi? No dogs, but I had a parakeet named Happy when I was 5. She (he) died of some icky skin condition. My father buried Happy in a shoebox in the backyard.

A few years later I had some little green turtles. Don't remember if I named them. Then when I was older I got some tropical fish. I know I didn't name them. The aquarium leaked on my mother's dining room floor. Eeek.
Notice how I didn't have any furry creatures as pets. :-(

But I'm making up for it now, with our felines, Linus and Rigby, who were preceded by our first furry guy, Humphrey. He passed away in June 2007.
I hope you enjoyed accompanying me down memory lane today.

4 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

took your fish oil, did 'ya? ha ha ha

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

strange how memories just pop into our head

Linda said...

I am impressed with your powers of remembrance! I can't remember the names of the kids in the neighborhood - never mind their pets! Of course, we moved a lot what with my Dad being career Air Force so I have a good excuse, right??

EG CameraGirl said...

Isn't it funny what can sudden;y come into your mind out of nowhere. I was walking in the forest with a friend yesterday and all of a sudden I could remember every one of my teachers' names from kindergarten to grade 6. Now where did that come from?