Monday, October 5, 2009

Experimenting with night mode


This was the moon at about 6:15 a.m. today. Getting a good shot of the moon is difficult. I think it's the camera ... It couldn't be me, could it?
~
Today ended up being an extremely busy work day for me. There was a breakfast meeting that celebrated the 80th anniversary of National Child Health Day, in which I learned how the sagging economy is having a huge impact on thousands of children in Connecticut; then I took a short train ride with two Congressmen and local officials who want to increase commuters' use of the rail line; and I also talked to several neighbors of an 84-year old man who died in a house fire Friday.
The neighbors, grownups and children, created a sidewalk memorial for him, and I took photos of it. They all said he was the nicest man in the world. He cared about all the children and always had a smile for everyone who passed by.
This poor man saved his disabled wife from the fire, but he didn't make it. She is recuperating in the hospital. The neighbors told me she is paralyzed and uses a wheelchair and cannot speak. What will become of her? It's such a sad story.


2 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

you took a great moon shot! i have never gotten a good one, and tried many times. and i am really sorry about the fire and that family...

hugs, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Linda said...

Moon shots are very, very tricky because apparently the moon reflects an awful lot of light and it's hard for the camera to compensate for it. I've yet to figure it out myself but my dispatch partner took a good picture last night at work.

What a sad, sad story about that poor man and his poor wife who is left behind. My guess is she'll be sent to a nursing home for the rest of her days. Such a horrible way to end one's life ...