Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Freshman year is going great

After finishing a phone interview this morning for a story I'm writing, I said hi to our daughter who was signed on to Google talk. We chat online almost every day; it's so easy to keep in touch that way.

Just as I started to say hello to her, Kid Two signed on (for the first time!) and said hi to his Mumsie. I have only called him once, on Labor Day, to see how the first two days had gone. We had a brief conversation and he sounded fine. I didn't want to be a helicopter parent, hovering around.

He has been busy with classes, settling in, and going to not one, but two great shows offered (at a price) to freshmen who want to take part.

He saw the Blue Man Group in Boston, then this past weekend he saw "Spamalot" in Hartford.

He loved both of the productions.

Cam is a young man of few words. He told me classes were fine and that his roommate is "a great guy." Whew.

He's fine, he's happy. And that makes his parents happy.

4 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

isn't it really hard not to call them and ask 20 questions? i know!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxo

Queen-Size funny bone said...

Comfort can come so easily with a few choice words from our children.

Joan said...

I'm so happy that, even with only a few words, Cam helped ease your mind. Bravo to you and Ralph for not doing the "helicopter hover."

The Curmudgeon said...

Google chat or AIM or one of those chat things is a really good way to keep in touch with the collegians, I agree.

Problem is that Younger Daughter comes up with so many AIM handles I can't always keep track... and I have kind of gone over to the Google chat which is favored by the 20-somethings.