Sunday, May 18, 2008

"Rob"bed identity

I don't know why I forgot to post this mistaken-identity experience from last weekend. Was it a subconscious thing?

After we attended a christening party we took our daughter back to school. She went up to her fourth-floor dorm to get something; I stayed behind. Since there are no elevators so did Ralph.
While we were sitting in the courtyard waiting, our daughter's friend, Christina, who we've known for years, came out and said hi to us.
Meanwhile, a friendly young guy walks over, smiles and introduces himself.
"Hi, I'm Rob. The boyfriend." He shook my hand, he shook Ralph's hand and he started to chat with us and Christina.
I found him likable and quite talkative. He told us his major, what he was going to do this summer, and that he was from South Carolina.
We were listening intently to him, as was Christina. I thought he was a little different than the kind of guy our dear daughter would like, but I enjoyed his company.

(You guessed it. He was the "wrong" guy. I had no idea the girls each had a boyfriend named Rob. Nobody tells me anything.)

Guy #2 arrived and said hello. At that point we still didn't realize that Rob #1 wasn't our daughter's beau. We said hi. Daughter finally comes back downstairs and introduces guy #2 as her boyfriend, Rob.

This is not sounding as funny as I had hoped. It was strange, because I had just gotten used to Rob #1 when I had to redirect my attention to the other one standing in front of me.

It was confusing, but it gave us all a chuckle.

4 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

that was a good one! glad you didn't have time to get too attached! ha ha

smiles, bee
xoxoxooxoxoxox

Joan said...

Who knew Rob was such a popular name. And what a good mom you are to recognize that Rob #1 wasn't Kid #1's type. Geez...this is soooo confusing.

Odat said...

ahaha...I can just imagine that!!!
Too funny!
Peace

Linda said...

Well, which one did you like better? #1 or #2? And if you liked the first one better is your daughter willing to switch??