Sunday, June 5, 2011

Survivors celebrated




A visit by these adorable four-legged volunteers, the pet therapy brigade as I call them, was just one of the highlights of a National Cancer Survivors' Day celebration Ralph and I attended this afternoon at Griffin Hospital in Derby, Ct.
The theme was "Another Year of Birthdays." We were treated to sandwiches, cookies, and cupcakes as well as a "birthday" celebration.
Our daughter stayed home with a bad cold, and missed the festivities. But there is always next year.
We won some door prizes, including a complete DVD set of the
Indiana Jones movies, and candy-filled loot bags, just like a little kids' birthday party.
My surgeon, Dr. Zandra Cheng, was keynote speaker. She inspired me, as she always does.

According to the hospital's Web site: "A cancer survivor, as defined by the National Cancer Survivors Day Foundation, is anyone living with a history of cancer, from the moment of diagnosis through the rest of their life. "

So I'm one of those now..and have been for almost four months.
It's my new claim to fame, along with some 12 million other cancer survivors nationwide.

~ And so my online journal about life after a breast cancer diagnosis continues.

5 comments:

Barb said...

The pet brigade is adorable! There's just nothing quite like a fuZzy wuZzy to life a person's spirit! That little back and salty-headed cutie melted my heart! And the dog is cute, too!

Cancer research and doctors have come a long way in treating cancer. I pray they find the cure soon!

Big hugs xoxo

bj said...

Hi, Patty..what a nice time ya'll must have had.
Like everyone else, I pray for a cure soon.
xo bj
come over and have a strawberry..:)

Dianne said...

what a wonderful title to have - survivor!!

I love the therapy dogs, they do such good work and are adorable at the same time

hugs

CrAzY Working Mom said...

*Singing Beyonce: I'm a survivor, I'm not gonna give up, I'm gonnna work harder...*

Congrats on 4 months, Ms Patti! :)

Sending lots of hugs and prayers your way daily!

Karen said...

Last year while Gail was in Hospice, a person came around to the rooms with a beautiful Black Lab. Gail was thrilled - she always loved animals - it really perked her up when the pup was there!

Yes - you are a SURVIVOR! And, I pray that you will be one for many birthdays to come!