Thursday, June 4, 2009

A simpler time and place

Ralph recently looked through a wooden box of old family photos and came across one of my all-time favorites, and I thought I would share.
My father has been gone since March of 1976; he died at 65. I will always miss him. I still have questions that I wish I could ask him, I know he would have the answers.
I do remember how he was looking forward to the nation's Bicentennial. He missed out on the celebrations.

He looks about five years old in this picture, sitting on a pony outside their New Haven home with his sister, Phyllis. If he was 5 here, that would mean the photo was taken in 1916.
I was told photographers would travel around neighborhoods and ask parents if they wanted a picture taken of their little darlings.
I'm sure glad today that my grandmother said yes!

Ralph scanned the undated photo for me. Below is a sepia-fied version, much closer to the original. Which one do you prefer?

6 comments:

Dianne said...

the sepia shows more detail

it is a wonderful photo Patti, full of history and love

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I love it ...like the second one personally.

maryt/theteach said...

I think I like the sepia one best, Patti. Uh, did you think I'd say anything else? Ha! :)

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

how funny, my father was born in 1916 and i have a photo in florida like that one!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Queen-Size funny bone said...

my mother told me that a man would come into the city with the horse and a camera and walk the neighborhoods in Hartford and take photos.

Linda said...

Definitely the second one as Dianne is right, it adds more detail.

My mom has a picture of my brother Alan on what I swear is the same horse! I think it was taken in Florida when he lived there in 1965 or so. I remember being jealous because when I was a kid, I loved horses but it was he that got to have his picture taken. :-(