Friday, September 28, 2012

Reminder: Monday is the start of 'Pink' month in the Valley

Note: I just posted this on the New Haven Register's View from the Valley blog and thought I'd share it here as well. It's part of an occasional series on my breast-cancer journey.


Time to mark Breast Cancer Awareness Month

As a 19-month breast cancer survivor I must admit October now has a special place in my heart.

I do what I can to help raise awareness, and make sure I wear a little bit of pink every day. 


Starting Monday, there are many activities planned by the grass roots' initiative The Valley Goes Pink.

The initiative benefits the Hewitt Center for Breast Wellness at Griffin Hospital in Derby.  

In addition, the fourth annual 5K walk/run that benefits the Center for Cancer Care at Griffin Hospital is Oct. 6. The event raises funds to help those diagnosed with all forms of cancer who are treated at the Center.


I'm kinda-sorta training for the walk. Being as out of shape as I am the thought of walking 3.1 miles with my teammates next Saturday is making me a bit nervous. As team captain does that mean I have to lead the rest of them? Scary thought indeed.


Thankfully the walk is not a competitive one. I finished it last year and imagine I can do that this year as well!


The event starts at 9 a.m. at the Center for Cancer Care, 350 Seymour Ave., Derby.

If you join in you'll find lots of dedicated family and friends eager to participate in honor or in memory of someone or just to show support.

Food, live entertainment, and a health information fair are part of the scene.


It's not too late to join a team or even walk as an individual, as I did last year.


Please think about lacing up your sneakers and taking a trek around Ansonia and Derby neighborhoods with us.


You'll be glad you did!

No comments: