Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Thoughts on Relay for Life

Hard to believe I haven't posted here in a week. I've been blogging though, keeping View from the Valley full of good stuff on the New Haven Register's site.

On Saturday Ralph and I went to a wonderful lunch catered by Outback Steakhouse for cancer survivors. It was held before the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life in Shelton, Ct. I wrote about our perspective on the relay here.


Here is the survivor's lap at the opening ceremony. I don't know any of these ladies, but just behind them are members of "Circle of Friends," the support group to which I belong. I tried to get a photo of them as they passed by but it was blurry. They were way too fast for me.

We were surprised to hear my my name read from the list of survivors at the opening ceremony. I signed in at the lunch and that was the list they used.

I wasn't on a team, we just went to have a good time. I give those who stay there for 18 hours or more a lot of credit! I don't have that kind of energy.

 

It was pouring rain when we got there but it cleared up after lunch in time for the opening ceremony. Look at these beautiful clouds!

I thought there was a good turnout of relay teams and tents filled with people selling food and crafts and games of chance to benefit the American Cancer Society.
It's overwhelming to think of the numbers of people whose lives have been affected by cancer just in our little part of Connecticut.

I hope the event was a success and a lot of money was raised toward the goal of kicking cancer to the curb.


Bonus photo below. ;-)

A friend of ours was a team captain and took this pic.



This is another in an occasional series about my journey with breast cancer. 

2 comments:

Barb said...

What a glorious event and day! And that is the first photo I've seen of you without a chapeau! You and Ralph both look fabulous!

big hugs xo

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

wonderful day and fabulous photo of you and ralph!!!

smiles, bee
xoxoxooxox