Thursday, May 3, 2007

Fiber-ific

My husband and I have been spending what I would consider an inordinate amount of time fretting about fiber these days.
Do we have enough in our diets? Would we, well, feel better if we increased the amount we ingest on a daily basis? These are questions for the ages, I daresay.

Ralph recently had his first colonoscopy.
Good news:
No polyps. Bad news: Ulcerative colitis.
The only positive thing about learning the diagnosis is at least we know what the problem is.
He also is taking medication for it that was just approved in January by the FDA. That's also good, right?

Yesterday we found out he needed another prescription, this one for potassium supplements.
We can only hope the medicines, combined with a more fiber-filled diet, help him along on the path to better health.




5 comments:

Lynn said...

If I stick my head in the sand, then everything is o.k. right? What is ulcerative colitis, and did he suspect that he had it?

Patti said...

Hi Lynn - Thanks for asking. I went to Wikipedia for a simple explanation.
It's an inflammatory bowel disease, that features ulcers on the colon.

It is confused with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which is less serious.
No, he didn't know what was wrong...had been going on for several months before he had the colonoscopy.

I'll meet you at the pile of sand. ;~) We can stick our heads in it together..

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh that sounds so painful! i had ibs and THAT was horrible, can't imagine this one. poor ralph!

smiles, bee

Patti said...

Bee: Thanks, Ralph is OK, not in pain.

Joan said...

I'm sorry to hear about Ralph's ulcerative colitis. WHen I was very young they thought I might have colitis because I had some symptoms which resembled the disease. I can still remember my mom being very happy when they determined is was something else so I know it must not be an easy thing to deal with.